Monday 21 March 2011

Review: DVD - Acupressure for Natural Pain Relief in Labour

If you are expecting a baby, the third trimester is probably the point in your pregnancy that gets you thinking more actively about labour and how you are going to cope with it. You will have read what feels like millions of pages about epidurals, gas & air or pethidine and other medications that can help you to deal with the pain of giving birth but what about alternative methods of pain relief? Especially during the last couple of months I have come across various methods such as hypnobirthing, homeopathy or acupressure. None of them made much sense to me though – but that's simply because I knew little to nothing about how they worked. 

 
You can imagine that I was delighted when I was offered the chance to review the DVD Acupressure for Natural Pain Relief in Labour” by Debra Betts and Tom Kennedy. Ok, I am still not 100% sure if accupressure is exactly my thing, but I am glad that I know more about it now and we will definitely give it a go. We've got nothing to lose, do we?
The DVD, available for £11.99 from JCM online and Amazon, shows numerous acupressure methods for the different stages of labour and even explains different ways to cope with postnatal pains, nausea and breastfeeding problems. A 16-page-booklet that completes the package explains and illustrates the different techniques in more detail. Unlike acupuncture where needles are used, acupressure applies physical pressure to specific acupressure points using the thumbs, fingers, hands, elbows, or with various other devices applied to the surface of the body. So you see, the big advantage is that you can use it wherever you want, Furthermore, acupressure allowes you to actively involve your birthing partner in the labour process.


Having watched the DVD with daddy-to-be, I have learnt that accupressure is completely safe. The best thing is however, that daddy-to-be can now be more involved in the birth of our daughter. He does now know different techniques to help me deal with the pain and emotional stress of labour and said himself that he is happy that he's got something to do now. I have to admit that all the different techniques and pressure points are a bit overwhelming when you watch the DVD for the very first time but I am sure that with some practice, we will be able to use a great amount of them during the birthing process. We'll keep you posted...

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...